FILM PITCH RESOURCES
A good pitch is generally between five and ten minutes long and lays out the premise, hook and essential beats of the story, along with thumbnail sketches of the principal characters (often including the names of actors who might play the roles), and a clear idea of the genre, tone, likely audience, and budget level.
Pitches come in two forms: the two-minute pitch, also known as the teaser, and the story pitch
Here is some background info that will be useful for your future assignment
The Two Minute Pitch
The two minute pitch starts off with the hook of the story. You have to sum up the
storyline of your idea in around 25 words or less. This is the hook, an example would be:
: The aging patriarch of an organized crime dynasty transfers control of his clandestine
empire to his reluctant son.
After you have drawn in the executives with your hook you will be asked to continue. This
is when you can go over the storyline briefly from beginning to end. Focus on two or
three characters at most and the action, conflict and emotions they will go through.
Pitches come in two forms: the two-minute pitch, also known as the teaser, and the story
pitch, which is traditionally 10 to 20 minutes in length, though the shorter the better.
first sentence introduces the characters, the next sentence illustrates their conflict,
and the final sentence leaves listeners wanting more. The conflict generally suggests the
film’s genre, but if not, consider alluding to that in the final sentence as well.
The story pitch is much longer than the teaser pitch, but try to keep it under ten
minutes, if possible. The story pitch starts with your hook or your logline, and then you
run down the rest of the story. Be sure to illustrate those universal elements ? the
heroes, their goals, the conflict, what’s at risk and why they’re fighting to save it,
any pivotal events or emotional turning points, and the conclusion.
Film Pitch Example
The written part of the assignment should include:
* your pitch (or the notes you used in your pitch)
* a synopsis (no more than 2.5 pages)
* a tagline (a single sentence that tells us the story)
* a single scene of roughly 5 – 7 pages of dialogue/action
* the breakdown of the movie into its three acts, including plot points
* anything else you decide to include that gives me a better idea of what the movie
Transcript of a Successful Movie Pitch
How to pitch a movie
Pitching your story
The Art of the Film Pitch
Movie pitch concerning a young man and his fellow college graduates who are out of work
and decide to start a church to make money.
A film treatment (or treatment for short) is a piece of prose, typically the step between
scene cards (index cards) and the first draft of a screenplay for a motion picture. It is
generally longer and more detailed than an outline (or one-page synopsis) and shorter and
less detailed than a step outline, but it may include details of directorial style that
an outline omits. They read like a short story. There are two types: the original draft
treatment, created during the writing process, and the presentation treatment, created as
Kurt Vonnegut’s Rules for Short Stories
Sounds suspiciously like Syd Field’s rules for screenplays:
1. Use the time of a total stranger in such a way that he or she will not feel the time
2. Give the reader at least one character he or she can root for.
3. Every character should want something, even if it is only a glass of water.
4. Every sentence must do one of two things — reveal character or advance the action.*
5. Start as close to the end as possible.
6. Be a sadist. No matter how sweet and innocent your leading characters, make awful
things happen to them — in order that the reader may see what they are made of.
7. Write to please just one person. If you open a window and make love to the world, so
to speak, your story will get pneumonia.
8. Give your readers as much information as possible as soon as possible. To heck with
suspense. Readers should have such complete understanding of what is going on, where and why, that they could finish the story themselves, should cockroaches eat the last few